This pretty and easy mother’s day gift DIY idea uses wine corks to create a flower vase ready to be filled. Mom will love it!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links meaning at no extra cost to you, will I earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Two things let to me coming up with this mother’s day gift idea. The first – not so unusual one – for the time we currently live in is that I have two kids at home that need something to do. Sound familiar? So, I thought painting wine corks would keep them busy for a while. Which it did.
Secondly, I’ve been on a decluttering kick on and off for the last 3 or so years. Prompted by Marie Condo’s book which I’ve read a lot of times. I’ve never finished the tidying process though. Let’s be real here: I’m not even close to finishing, I’ve barely made a dent in the mount of stuff we have.
Anyhow, Marie’s criteria for keeping something is: Does it spark joy?
Now, this particular collection of used wine corks didn’t pass the joy test. It was also taking up space in a glass jar I wanted to use. Technically (if I were to follow the “tidying rules” to a t) I would have had to part with them, but because I’m crafty and a little scrappy too, I wanted to upcycle them in some way.
So here we are with a flower vase made of wine corks.
Easy Mother’s Day Gift DIY Using Wine Corks
I’ll show you some pictures of the process first before we dive into the materials you need.
- Small Sharp Non Serrated Knife
- Small Paint Brushes (one for each color)
- Hot Glue Gun (optional, glue works as well)
- Cut out a 2 x 2 Inch square piece of cardboard paper
- Take 4 of the wine corks and cut them in half with a knife as even as possible
- Divide the wine corks into 3 equal groups (more if you're using more colors)
- With a paint brush paint the wine corks being especially neat with the top of the half ones
- Set aside to dry
- Paint the cardboard paper square you cut out earlier
- When dry start by gluing 8 painted wine corks in a square shape onto the painted piece of card board
- For the next row glue the wine corks directly on top of the first row (don't worry about gluing the sides, they will be held together by the ribbon)
- On top of the 3rd row glue the half wine corks with their smooth painted side facing up
- Let the vase dry
- Into the middle slide the glass test tube
- Tie a pretty ribbon around the middle of the vase
- Optional: Create a pretty mother's day card, punch a whole in it and thread the ribbon through it. For this I folded a piece of construction paper in half, drew the outline of cookie cutter on it and cut it out, then decorated it
- Fill the test tube with water and put a flower in it